Perception vs. Reality – The Truth Behind Investing

When it comes to education and learning, individual perceptions tend to differ from the common realities of the market place.  The perception that Real Estate is easy and that getting rich can happen overnight are ideologies that are not a reality but can become a perception due to the salespeople, educators, and “how-to” reality shows trying to sell you a technique that will make you wealthy without working hard.  The Reality is that although there have been many people in this world who have become rich quick, they are typically few and far between and not repeatable in terms of their pathway to riches.

There was a study done in 1999 by two Harvard students, Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons, called Inattentional Blindness, the scientific name, which defers itself from a physical sight problem to an error of perception that results from a lack of attention, individuals inability to see what is reality versus their own perception of reality.  The illusion of attention is what we are discussing.  The average individual either makes an effort to see what is not there or they just don’t see it.  Chabris and Simons concluded that we actually experience far less of our visual world than we actually do.  Please check out this video to understand what we are talking about.  You will see a video that has two teams involved, a black team and a white team, each are passing a basketball to another teammate, in various forms, bounce pass, overhead passes and chest passes.  As a viewer, your goal is to count the accurate number of passes between the members of the white team only.  The answer will be revealed as to how many passes actually took place(reality) versus your perception of how many passes occurred(perception).  Here you go:

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/vJG698U2Mvo” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

How many passes did you count?  If you counted 15 passes you did a great job, I have seen answers from as low as 10 to as high as 25?  The reality of 15 passes is correctly counted about 75% of the time, what about the other 25% of the time, what are you counting?  One other result is how incorrectly people miss the gorilla in the room.  Most of the people who see this for the first time only see the gorilla 50% of the time, so don’t feel bad.  Check out the updated video, the passes will be a different number, see if you can count the correct number of passes and see the gorilla, check it out:

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/IGQmdoK_ZfY” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you notice it, did you see all the changes, if you saw everything, you are among an elite group of individuals.  So what does all of this mean?  And how does it relate to Real Estate and Real Estate Investing.

For many years, I have seen most of my success come from deals that anyone could have had access to, the deal was literally right in front of your face, you just had to walk up and take it.  I do have a skill that has been learned, not born with, I have the ability to keep my mind and eyes open for deals.  At Young Realty Academy, we teach you how to see deals that are literally in front of your face.  It is up to you whether you see it or not, your perception of the deal or your reality of the deal.  When it comes to Real Estate, the Reality is that you will become wealthier if you invest in real estate as opposed to not investing in real estate, this is reality, this is fact, the perception is that if you use techniques that claim to make you rich quick you will become rich, this is not true.  Real Estate investing is not a get rich quick investing technique.  With patience, education, proper training and time, you too can be an incredible real estate investor.  If told you that you could make a six figure profit from every real estate deal you ever entered, would you believe me, do you have the ability to see it or not, if not, you need to come to the Young Realty Academy and see how many gorillas in the room you are missing.

Call Young Realty today to reserve your spot in our next investor meeting and begin to live your dreams of reality not your perception of it. 416-913-1089, or email info@youngrealty.ca, and please check out our website for upcoming events and continuing education www.youngrealty.ca.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *